The Breakdown Room - Queensryche Discussion Forum

• October 23, 2014, 02:56:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Breakdown Room is now closed. It has been a fun and effective 10 years. Thank you everyone.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whip Interview  (Read 1207 times)

CirclingPanesOfGlass

• Special Contributor
  • Global Mind
Whip Interview
« on: March 23, 2009, 11:07:33 AM »

I just found this link on QR's MySpace page -

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=365258694&blogId=477913516

Friday, March 20, 2009 
 Exclusive interview with Michael WILTON (QUEENSRYCHE, SOULBENDER)

Released in March 2009 by YvesZ for WICKED NEWS
webzine.

. Hi, Michael ! What a pleasure to release this interview with one of my favorite artists ! I’ve been following QUEENSRYCHE since 1984 and it’s a great honor for me to have this talk with you.

Well, thank you very much. We finally get to talk.

. So, let’s talk about your new project : SOULBENDER. After years of rehearsals and studio work, SOULBENDER’s first album is out. What does it represent for you ?

SB started out as a personal project with some of my musician friends in the northwest Seattle area. I wanted to explore a more organic approach in the
writing and recording. What I mean by that is not a super hi tech individual
format. I wanted it to be like the way QR used to write back before the dawn of
Pro Tools. Soulbender explores the darker side of our psyches. We created songs that were super fun to perform live meaning we rehearsed the tunes live before committing to tape. But what was surprising for me was that it enhanced the way I play in QR, kind like a fresh perspective for creative purposes.

. SOULBENDER sounds harder than QUEENSRYCHE, with a 70’s hardrock feeling. We can also find that dark touch that you use to
give to the Ryche’s music. It sounds like ‘ALICE IN CHAINS (‘Three towers’, ‘This ocean’), jamming with Jake E.Lee (the kick-ass intro of the song ‘Loaded’) and VELVET REVOLVER (‘Samsara’). What a killer mix !!

Thank you very much. I attribute my influences to the crappy weather we have here most of the year. I think that brings out that dark touch in me. If I lived in
a place that was sunny and nice all the time I don’t think I would write in the
same style of music.

. How does the writing process use to go, with SOULBENDER ? You’re so busy with QUEENSRYCHE that it should not be easy to find the time to rehearse as often as it would be, with your band mates?

After the first SB release QR started touring quite a bit and QR is my day job so a lot of the new tracks are being sent over the internet via mp3. When I am home
we then get together at my studio and lay tracks but it is tricky. I do not want to release anything until it feels like the songs have gelled and are glued together.

. I read here and there some reviewers wrote that with this album, you’re finally out of Chris DeGarmo’s long shadow. I guess that you founded SOULBENDER for some other reasons. I know your involvement into QUEENSRYCHE’s music and I’ve seen you so many times on stage
that I know you didn’t need SOULBENDER to prove that you’re just as talented as a guitarplayer and composer as Chris.

I look at it this way QR is about the song. Whatever is best for the song. SB is more about taking chances and jamming. I don’t view what I do as a competition, just different colors in the sonic spectrum.

. Nick Pollock (vocals) and Wes Hallam (drums)
recently stepped down from their roles, and you currently work with Travis Bracht (SECOND COMING) and Ray Hartman (formerly of ANNIHILATOR) as new singer and drummer. With Dave Groves and Chuck Miller (guitar ans bass), is it the line-up which will release SOULBENDER’s sophomore album ?

I am currently still working with Dave Groves. Nick had personal issues to take care of and Wes contracted some alien virus that zapped his energy playing drums. I think Ripper Owens will sing on the next one. As far as drums go I will use whoever is available, that goes for bass as well.....

. Ray Hartman is well known for working with ANNIHILATOR, in the past, but could you tell us more about Travis ?

Travis is a friend of mine who came in and filled Nicks shoes when he had to leave. We had numerous shows lined up and Travis saved our ass. Travis is known for singing in the band Second Coming.

. On SOULBENDER’s Myspace page, a demo song has been posted on the player, recorded with Tim Ripper Owens (ex-JUDAS PRIEST, BEYOND FEAR) on vocals. Could you tell me more about this collaboration ?

Tim is a good friend of mine and he has sung on a half dozen demos. He is a lot like me, very fragmented and multitasking different projects at the same time. He has a killer voice and can scream like a banshee.

. What are your touring plans with SOULBENDER ?....

When we finish the next album we will have to find a touring line up then we can talk about touring.

. You’re also known as ‘Hellboy’ … and in June, you’ll play at Hellfest in France with QUEENSRYCHE, your first show in my country since 2004. So, I really expect you’ll give us some hell of a show !

I always deliver the goods. It should be a hell of a good time.

. Could we expect to see QUEENSRYCHE on a headline tour in Europe later this year ?....

QR is taking one step at a time in the sketchy economy. I hope that we can headline and play festivals like we did last tour.....

. Geoff (Tate) and Scott (Rockenfield), have also their solo projects. Does Eddie (Jackson – QUEENSRYCHE bass player) involve in some other musical projets than QUEENSRYCHE ?

Edbass tells me that he is working on a solo project so expect one in the near future.

. Just a few words about Whipwear
clothing ?

As you may know my nickname is “Whip”. Some of the road crew noticed at our live shows that sexy girls were always in front of me. My tech started calling them
“Whiptresses” Thus the seed was sown and Whipwear was born. First just a few
T-shirts for friends than I was hounded for a clothing line and began coming up
with new designs and now Whipwear is available online and will be in stores as
well.

. This interview wouldn’t be complete if I didn’t thank you one more time for all what you’ve given to me and all your fans all along those years. It’s been a blast to follow QUEENSRYCHE on stage all over Europe (the last time was in Spain last year. Killer show in Barcelona!!). I really hope it will still lasts for a long time, with the Ryche and now with SOULBENDER !

Thank you dude. It has been a wonderful music journey for me and when our music connects with people it makes it that much better. I’ve always said I am a work in progress so expect many more years of my whipping guitar playing. Metal!

« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 11:11:33 AM by CirclingPanesOfGlass »

RycheNNole

• Global Mind
  • Unconquered then, now, and forever!
    • Warchant.com
Re: Whip Interview
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 11:23:24 AM »

In my mind, I can hear him speaking those answers and his "voice inflections" are hilarious!

Rhythm_Of_Hope

• BdR Supporter
  • Disciple of Dr. X
  • The Therapist is IN
    • My Facebook page - not really a website, but still...
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 11:49:14 AM »

Interesting. Was a bit disappointed that he didn't have a bit more to say about his work on American Soldier (which was outstanding), but then I guess the point of the interview was more on his solo work.

Am a bit leery of Ripper Owens though - Soulbender's first set of songs had pretty good lyrics (love "Three Towers"!), but I hope they don't get pulled down to Jugulator levels on their next release...  ;D
\"Reflections of reality /  Slowly coming into view, / How the hell could you possibly forgive me - after all the hell I\'ve put you through?\"

- Dream Theater, \"The Mirror\"

Grappler

• Disciple of Dr. X
  • Hail to the Orange, Hail to the Blue...
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 12:28:20 PM »

Interesting. Was a bit disappointed that he didn't have a bit more to say about his work on American Soldier (which was outstanding), but then I guess the point of the interview was more on his solo work.

Am a bit leery of Ripper Owens though - Soulbender's first set of songs had pretty good lyrics (love "Three Towers"!), but I hope they don't get pulled down to Jugulator levels on their next release...  ;D

Only if they have Glenn Tipton writing.  Ripper didn't touch the Jugulator lyrics.

Rhythm_Of_Hope

• BdR Supporter
  • Disciple of Dr. X
  • The Therapist is IN
    • My Facebook page - not really a website, but still...
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 12:30:32 PM »

Oops. My bad. I sort of thought he was the one who came up with lyrical gems like "Abductors". He's quite all right as a vocalist, though he wasn't the best match for Judas Priest's sound.

Anyway, that makes me much more optimistic about the next Soulbender release - let's wait and see.  :metal:
\"Reflections of reality /  Slowly coming into view, / How the hell could you possibly forgive me - after all the hell I\'ve put you through?\"

- Dream Theater, \"The Mirror\"

daknight

• Global Mind
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 10:59:54 PM »

ED BASS HAS SOME SOLO THING IN THE WORKS ?!  :metal: Be nice if we were hearing more.

ironwill

• Global Mind
  • Lost in the EMPIRE! (state) NY RULES!!
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 05:38:24 PM »

Oops. My bad. I sort of thought he was the one who came up with lyrical gems like "Abductors". He's quite all right as a vocalist, though he wasn't the best match for Judas Priest's sound.

Anyway, that makes me much more optimistic about the next Soulbender release - let's wait and see.  :metal:
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 I disagree with him not being a match for JP's sound. I thought he was absolutely THE correct choice to take over for Halford. Ripper comes closer to Rob then anybody else i've ever heard.                                                                                                                              It's also mho that the guys in QR being able to do solo/side projects is the one thing that has kept them from completely having imploded and gone their seperate ways years ago. There are others who could learn from that. In my experience the most frustrating thing for a musician to deal with is a feeling of being trapped and locked into doing only one type of music. For example: If Bruce Dickinson had been allowed to explore doing solo stuff to the extent that he wanted to, then he never would have left Maiden in the first place. And if Jason Newsted had been allowed to do a solo album, then he'd still be in Metallica.                                                                                                                          Go ahead, try and trap an artist and see how quick they jump ship.                                                                                                                                I thought it was a decent, albeit short interview and i too wish they had talked more about AS. I just loved the way Whip stated matter-of-factly "I always deliver the goods". That's a very ballsy, but true statement. Cuz he does. Especially live!                                                                                                                                        I'm looking forward to hearing Edbass' solo project. I hope he does a complete 180 from what he does in the 'Ryche and shows off his funky jazz roots. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 05:45:21 PM by ironwill »
Never follow trends that turn on your friends/Just be sure ya know who your friends are!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up