The Breakdown Room - Queensryche Discussion Forum

• August 20, 2014, 11:29:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Breakdown Room is now closed. It has been a fun and effective 10 years. Thank you everyone. Come join the successor forum to The Breakdown Room -- The Open Road -- www.vindication156.net.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: GEOFF TATE solo show in Temecula 9-14-12  (Read 6166 times)

Liquidnoose

• Initiate
GEOFF TATE solo show in Temecula 9-14-12
« on: September 14, 2012, 11:16:32 PM »

Back.
Phenomenal.
Played two new songs...DARK MONEY about the shady money that infiltrates elections...that one was kinda Q2kish...but the chorus and backing vox were solid.
The second song was TAKE A BULLET and had a HEAVY Kelly Gray riff that I LOVED! Song was about trust and this is the heaviest song I have heard GT do since something off of OM 2.
It was at a winery for a charity and about 500 or so showed up...easily half of the crowd was there to support the charity and had no idea who GT was.
Shirts were $20/25...not bad. He played an acoustical set...then had a live auction...then electrical set.
I will post a set list later but he played most of first sol cd...OUT OF MIND...BRIDGE...DISCONNECTED...THE KILLING WORDS...EYES OF A STRANGER as closer...and did a JET CITY WOMAN that was basically him and a piano...I have seen him over 30 times and thought it was one of the better shows...he mentioned the QR situation once...nothing specific or enlightening. And surprise surprise one of his duaghters is maried t the bassist in his band and Kelly Gray looks like a Terrorist with his bald pate and long beard.
I enjoyed it...a pretty mellow setting...wish more of our era bands would do this sort of thing.
I i had a great time and the new songs are great.
Now let's see what the "other' side does.

SET LIST:
got it bad
helpless
every move we make
touch
out of mind
this moment
bridge
the killing words
til there was you
jet city woman
ELECTRIC SET LIST
eyes off the tv
flood
sacred ground
disconnected
dark money (new solo)
take a bullet (new solo)
the real world
eyes of a stranger
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 01:24:17 PM by Liquidnoose »

Ladieinblk83

• Anarchist
  • "we are one, we are children of the light"
Re: GEOFF TATE solo show in Temecula 9-14-12
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 09:22:21 AM »

Back.
Phenomenal.
Played two new songs...DARK MONEY about the shady money that infiltrates elections...that one was kinda Q2kish...but the chorus and backing vox were solid.
The second song was TAKE A BULLET and had a HEAVY Kelly Gray riff that I LOVED! Song was about trust and this is the heaviest song I have heard GT do since something off of OM 2.
It was at a winery for a charity and about 500 or so showed up...easily half of the crowd was there to support the charity and had no idea who GT was.
Shirts were $20/25...not bad. He played an acoustical set...then had a live auction...then electrical set.
I will post a set list later but he played most of first sol cd...OUT OF MIND...BRIDGE...DISCONNECTED...THE KILLING WORDS...EYES OF A STRANGER as closer...and did a JET CITY WOMAN that was basically him and a piano...I have seen him over 30 times and thought it was one of the better shows...he mentioned the QR situation once...nothing specific or enlightening. And surprise surprise one of his duaghters is maried t the bassist in his band and Kelly Gray looks like a Terrorist with his bald pate and long beard.
I enjoyed it...a pretty mellow setting...wish more of our era bands would do this sort of thing.
I i had a great time and the new songs are great.

I like that you titled the thread "Geoff Tate solo show", is this how he was introduced or was he introduced as Queensryche?  I'm just curious because he was FIRED and the last time I checked when you are FIRED from a company you can no longer say you work at and represent The Promised Land company.   Thanks for the review and I just want to say that with just the partial set list you posted, I like that he is taking my advice... he needs to keep listening and playing Promised Land to help him figure out what happened   ;D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 09:38:39 AM by Ladieinblk83 »
"Visualize your dream, record it in the present tense, put it into a permanent form. If you persist in your efforts you can achieve dream control" or in other words "Magnetize what you conceptualize because your thoughts become things"
 This is the Law of Attraction"

Liquidnoose

• Initiate
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 09:47:25 AM »

It was listed/billed as GEOFF TATE and Friends - Acoustic I believe.  Like I posted, he mentioned the situation once...and moved on.

SciKikMobster

• En Forcer
  • Music music I hear music, Music I hear music music
    • Me jamming with Queensryche
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 06:32:49 PM »

I will post a set list later but he played most of first sol cd...OUT OF MIND...BRIDGE...DISCONNECTED...THE KILLING WORDS...EYES OF A STRANGER as closer...and did a JET CITY WOMAN that was basically him and a piano...I have seen him over 30 times and thought it was one of the better shows...he mentioned the QR situation once...nothing specific or enlightening.

Thanks for the review. man. I was supposed to go, but had to work late, and Temecula is a monster of a drive in Friday SoCal traffic. Bummed I missed it... please post the setlist when you can. So obviously the heavier songs were part of the electric set?

I enjoyed it...a pretty mellow setting...wish more of our era bands would do this sort of thing. I i had a great time and the new songs are great.

It will become more common as artist's get older :biggrin: ... acoustic "house concerts" are kicking into full gear as well. Sometimes the off the beaten path shows are more lucrative, winery's have a built in audience.

Are you going to the QR3/Lynch Mob/HOB show in November? I want to, but it's Thanksgiving weekend... I may have to sneak out.

Rychette

• BdR Supporter
  • Global Mind
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 08:56:48 PM »

Glad you had a good time!  How did Geoff himself sound? 

Liquidnoose

• Initiate
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 09:06:48 PM »

Are you going to the QR3/Lynch Mob/HOB show in November? I want to, but it's Thanksgiving weekend... I may have to sneak out.

I want to but Wifey's fave - MORRISSEY - is playing and I was to drive her there...but I may go....am loving new LYNCH MOB and I HAVE to see this version of QR...gonna be a concert-time decision.

Liquidnoose

• Initiate
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 09:09:21 PM »

Code: [Select]
How did Geoff himself sound?
I have never understood the whole "GT can't do this song" or such.  Honestly had a smallish hard time on song 2 going low to high...but after that, he nailed most everything.  I have not (and won't) post alot of my thoughts on the whole mess going on but I was impressed...and I have been seeing GT in all diferent guises since 1984.  And those 2 new songs are absolutley awesome.

bgs1972

• En Forcer
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 09:10:35 PM »

Did you notice anyone recording? Nothing on YouTube yet....

DarknessOnTheWay

• Disciple of Dr. X
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 01:35:48 AM »

@SciKikMobster:  What is QR3?

Lucretia

• Khaleesi/Ice Queen
  • Administrator
  • Disciple of Dr. X
  • The Most Fabulous Rattlesnake in the QR-Verse
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 07:56:16 AM »

I have never understood the whole "GT can't do this song" or such. 

It's not that hard to understand. A lot of people, myself included, think Geoff has struggled mightily live with a lot of songs over the last five years. IMO, he's spotty at best from all the clips I've watched over the years, and his recorded vocals on Take Cover and DtC were kind of terrible (some might even say he was the weak link on both of those albums). Sounds like he had a good night in Temecula, probably because he was nice and rested up. The real test will be when he's out playing a regular touring schedule.
Purveyor of CENSORSHIP!!!!111!!11!1!  :rollin

Ladieinblk83

• Anarchist
  • "we are one, we are children of the light"
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 08:59:46 AM »

It was listed/billed as GEOFF TATE and Friends - Acoustic I believe.  Like I posted, he mentioned the situation once...and moved on.

Thanks, like I said I was just curious as I saw the tickets posted for sale as Queensryche
"Queensryche Tickets in Temecula, Wiens Family Cellars, September"
http://seatgeek.com/queensryche-tickets/

As it is a past show it has now been removed but the google search with the title is still there.

Everyone is going to have to stay on their toes to know which version of Queensryche and Geoff Tate shows they are actually going to be purchasing tickets for.   What I don't understand is why it is so important to him to hang on to the Queensryche name when he himself is a brand (as he has set himself up to be) and obviously can be successful doing solo shows and all of the other GT endeavours.   One needs to be careful how they play with the seven deadly sins, GREED is a mutha when she comes back to get you.

"Visualize your dream, record it in the present tense, put it into a permanent form. If you persist in your efforts you can achieve dream control" or in other words "Magnetize what you conceptualize because your thoughts become things"
 This is the Law of Attraction"

Grendelsan

• Global Mind
  • Gomasuri
    • Rutger Hauer Forum
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 11:37:05 AM »

A clip of Eyes of a Stranger has surfaced.

He's still avoiding the high notes (and certainly isn't sustaining the ones he does attempt).

http://youtu.be/yW2r_7n7Vrk

Liquidnoose

• Initiate
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 11:57:11 AM »

That is a pretty good representation of that night.  I guess I am used to GT singing the "old" songs this way???  Nothing wrotng with what he did there.  I have to admit at being amazed at the criticism og GT's current voice/singing style.  The guy is 55 and the vocal acrobatics he did do "back in the day" were simply amazing...but why someone has to do that exact thing time and time again I don't get.  My alltime fave is RONNIE JAMES DIO and he was laboring a bit towards the end...Halford is boring to watch live and Dickinson is weakening as well.  Don't know why some think GT should sound like 1988?  As I have said before...are any of you as good as you were 30 years ago?

Shando

• Global Mind
  • REVOLUTION IN DISGUISE!
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 12:08:57 PM »

He's still avoiding the high notes (and certainly isn't sustaining the ones he does attempt).

I think Geoff's voice sounds very strong there. He stayed well within his comfort zone in terms of range, but IMO he did it very well.

SciKikMobster

• En Forcer
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2012, 01:19:10 PM »

I want to but Wifey's fave - MORRISSEY - is playing and I was to drive her there...but I may go....am loving new LYNCH MOB and I HAVE to see this version of QR...gonna be a concert-time decision.

Where is Moss playing?! Some friends of mine are opening the show as well... Heaven Below (with Patrick Kennison) - so it's a great bill. Lynch & Oni, you can't go wrong! I have family coming from out of town, but it's worth sneaking out the bedroom window. Hahaha!

SciKikMobster

• En Forcer
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 01:21:19 PM »

Code: [Select]
How did Geoff himself sound?
I have never understood the whole "GT can't do this song" or such.  Honestly had a smallish hard time on song 2 going low to high...but after that, he nailed most everything.  I have not (and won't) post alot of my thoughts on the whole mess going on but I was impressed...and I have been seeing GT in all diferent guises since 1984.  And those 2 new songs are absolutley awesome.

Not every body feels that way... No 30 year touring professional sings the way they used to in their 20's.

SciKikMobster

• En Forcer
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 01:22:52 PM »

@SciKikMobster:  What is QR3?

Oh, I meant QR-RW.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 01:33:29 PM by SciKikMobster »

SciKikMobster

• En Forcer
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 01:29:54 PM »

Thanks for posting this... I think the guitar players need some work on the guitar parts. They may need to reference powerslave88's YouTube tutorials: http://www.anybodylistening.net/breakdownroom/index.php?topic=2739.0

Samsara

• 81 Percent Owner & Operator
  • Administrator
  • Disciple of Dr. X
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 01:43:39 PM »

The band is called Queensr├┐che (whether you like it or not). Geoff Tate's version is (as far as I know) officially called Queensryche starring Geoff Tate.

Please stop confusing people by referring to your own inaccurate pet names for it.

re: the Eyes clip - Tate sounds a little tiny bit better than he has. But he's still changing the melody to avoid the more challenging ones in the original, he's cutting notes short, and the song is played at least a half step if not a full step down.

Statements like "Not every body feels that way... No 30 year touring professional sings the way they used to in their 20's" -- is insulting to the intelligence of this community. No, you don't expect someone to sound the same. As has been said here hundreds of times, no one expects Geoff Tate of 1981-1986. But his voice isn't a natural change. He abused it, destroyed it and looks for ways to cheat the great and challenging melodies that Chris wrote for him and that he wrote for himself. Melodies and singing that made Tate distinct and made people stand up and take notice (aside from his range).

I don't expect Bruce Dickinson to sound like he did in 1983. But every time I see Bruce, while range is diminished, Bruce makes up for it in other ways. Geoff doesn't. Therein lies the problem for most people on here.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 01:56:45 PM by Samsara »

Samsara

• 81 Percent Owner & Operator
  • Administrator
  • Disciple of Dr. X
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 01:55:21 PM »

Now, back to further discussion of the Geoff Tate solo show from Sept. 14.

Hopefully clips of the two new tunes surface soon. I'm curious.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up