The Breakdown Room - Queensryche Discussion Forum

• October 25, 2014, 11:09:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Breakdown Room is now closed. It has been a fun and effective 10 years. Thank you everyone.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: songwriting of Q2K  (Read 2095 times)

Setlist Scotty

• Global Mind
songwriting of Q2K
« on: January 07, 2013, 03:59:44 PM »

Hey all

did a search and couldn't find a previous thread about this topic - forgive me if there already is one. While coming up with another idea for a thread, I was looking at the songwriting credits as listed on Wikipedia for each of the post-PL albums, and it got me to wondering what the real songwriting credits for Q2K were. As we all know, all that is listed is that all the songs were written by "Queensryche". So those of you who have a better idea (or perhaps recall reading details in an interview/article), what do you think the songwriting credits likely are?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 04:27:47 PM by Samsara »

Lucretia

• Khaleesi/Ice Queen
  • Administrator
  • Disciple of Dr. X
  • The Most Fabulous Rattlesnake in the QR-Verse
Re: speculation on songwriting of Q2K
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 04:07:10 PM »

Even BMI has them all listed as songwriters on each of those songs, so I'm not sure there's any way to really tell. I will say, though, that the Q2k music has more in common with K&T than it does with anything else QR has ever done. At least, to my ears.
Purveyor of CENSORSHIP!!!!111!!11!1!  :rollin

Samsara

• 81 Percent Owner & Operator
  • Administrator
  • Disciple of Dr. X
Re: speculation on songwriting of Q2K
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 04:27:27 PM »

We've discussed this a few times before. From Kelly Gray to me, this is what he told me in 2001 when I interviewed him:

Falling Down - Gray/Wilton/Tate (the riff was Michael's as was the idea for the trade off solo)
Sacred Ground - Gray/Rockenfield/Tate
One Life - Gray/Tate
When the Rain Comes - Tate/Wilton
Beside You - Gray/Tate
How Could I? - Gray/Tate
Liquid Sky - Gray/Rockenfield/Tate
Breakdown  - Gray/Rockenfield/Tate
Burning Man - Gray/Rockenfield/Tate/Wilton
Wot Kinda Man - Gray/Tate
Right Side of My Mind - Gray/Tate/Wilton

B-Sides:

Until There Was You - Gray/Tate
Howl - (unknown)

Unreleased:

Discipline - (unknown)

Monologue - Jackson/Tate

>>>>>Those are from memory. But this is not speculation. It is fact. I may have one too many Rockenfield credits in there. But that's the only discrepancy (I wanna say Breakdown wasn't Rockenfield, but I'm not sure).

And my source for all this is an interview between Kelly Gray and myself in June 2001. I wrote an article on it, but the discussion of the songwriting really didn't make the Q&A. I'm not sure why. It was a long time ago. But in a nutshell, there are the credits.

Scotty - I changed the title of the thread because of this information. Just so folks know that the list I provided is NOT speculation, but is in fact, fact. :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 05:38:24 PM by Samsara »

ahrayeph

• Disciple of Dr. X
  • Syncopating Marshall Of The Rÿche
    • Ahrayeph Official Website
Re: songwriting of Q2K
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 04:51:13 PM »

Funny that the two songs on that album I like best have Wilton credited as a song writer. That's saying something...
And you're... what? Shocked and disappointed? I'm a BdR Moderator

Samsara

• Administrator
  • Disciple of Dr. X
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 04:53:15 PM »

For those that are unfamiliar on how the writing credits are displayed, the order of the names means nothing. It's alphabetical (although I see I screwed up that order once on that list...)

Deathless

• Global Mind
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 05:07:06 PM »

Interesting. I'm really interested now to hear the new material because its finally Wilton's time to shine... Very exciting.

Eddyspeeder

• Global Mind
  • Tri-Leaf
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 05:43:39 AM »

Funny that the two songs on that album I like best have Wilton credited as a song writer. That's saying something...
Don't tell me your favorites are also "Falling Down" and "Burning Man"?  :biggrin:
"Todd La Torre is the Phil Collins of metal" –NWO

TonyFlyingSquirrel

• Disciple of Dr. X
  • The Sensation of the Cherokee Nation!
    • Wor Party/band homepage
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 02:46:47 PM »

Do we have a clip of "Howl"?
Bite off more than  you can chew, then start chewin'.

Samsara

• Administrator
  • Disciple of Dr. X
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 02:48:21 PM »

http://www.myspace.com/queensryche/music/songs/howl-previously-unissued-9096

Howl is by far my favorite song from this lineup of the band. Great tune. Great bass line too.

ted262

• Global Mind
    • My place
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 02:48:44 PM »

The extra tracks are available on iTunes and Amazon.  You can listen to a minute or so of it on either site.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

• Disciple of Dr. X
  • The Sensation of the Cherokee Nation!
    • Wor Party/band homepage
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 05:01:48 PM »

http://www.myspace.com/queensryche/music/songs/howl-previously-unissued-9096

Howl is by far my favorite song from this lineup of the band. Great tune. Great bass line too.

I can see why, Ed gets to really stretch out with some fills.

Something about this point on though, perhaps it's Grey's selection of vocal preamps and overall eq'ing of GT's voice, it's just thin and it continues to this day.  Even the preamps Jimbo used in conjuction with the Mackie D8B mixer into the ADAT's sounded better, and the Mackie is no where near the mixer that the Neve or the SSL is.  It's nowhere in the same category.
This is where I think going back to Jimbo, tracking on the Neve or SSL console will really emphasize how much tone TLT has in his voice.
Bite off more than  you can chew, then start chewin'.

daknight

• Global Mind
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 06:44:07 PM »

WHAT HE SAID!

Wardy

• BdR Supporter
  • Disciple of Dr. X
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 02:35:23 AM »

Yeah count me in too.  I recall learning of these song credits thanks to Brian some years back when discussed here also and it came as no surprise Wilton co-wrote When The Rain Comes, my personal fave :metal:  Add to that he features on my other 3 likes, this was good to learn.

Interestingly though couple of the tunes written only by Tate and Gray float my boat quite the same in Beside You and One Life (hugely underrated IMO)... 

But for me the Gray issue was never black and white (pun intended).  Recent shenanigans aside, while I appreciate he didn't deliver on guitar like most here would have liked, I personally thought, for the most-part and considering the tunes he was responsible for on American Soldier, Gray could write decent material.  I thought too that the performances on Q2k were solid (and had Tate remained at this level he'd have forged on well IMO), and I've still a lot of passion for the album.  I thought it a fair effort for a DeGarmo-less band, and hindsight now suggests it probably came off better than it might otherwise had LOL.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 02:40:42 AM by Wardy »

thrashinbatman

• Global Mind
  • The castles built will fall...
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 03:59:13 PM »

So essentially, it wasn't all that much different from the later albums in terms of who wrote it, which explains a lot. Though some of the stuff is pretty good, I do like When the Rain Comes.

Samsara

• Administrator
  • Disciple of Dr. X
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 04:23:14 PM »

So essentially, it wasn't all that much different from the later albums in terms of who wrote it, which explains a lot. Though some of the stuff is pretty good, I do like When the Rain Comes.

Q2k was much more organic, however, since Gray was at that time a band member and working closely with Rockenfield, Jackson, Wilton and Tate. You can tell everyone really was a part of that recording, unlike the last few Tateryche albums.

Divine Heretic

• Initiate
  • Have a nice day!
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 04:25:13 PM »

Great! Thanks for the info  :metal: We can only hope that those two tracks Discipline and Monologue will be release some day (ultra-mega-vest editions, rare tracks compilations, etc). I'd kill (not literally ;)) to hear more of the unfinished/unreleased songs from "not-delusional Tate" era  :biggrin:
Pages: [1]   Go Up