The Breakdown Room - Queensryche Discussion Forum

• October 21, 2014, 11:21:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Breakdown Room is now closed. It has been a fun and effective 10 years. Thank you everyone.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Queensrÿche self-titled album reviews and commentary  (Read 49455 times)

Dagon

• Initiate
Re: Queensrÿche self-titled album reviews and commentary
« on: May 03, 2013, 08:53:20 AM »

Hello guys and girls,

I follow the forum a lot and appreciate all the passion and love for the band that all of you share. Me included.

I just wanted to share some initial opinion of the new album. I just heard the promo and would like to share some thoughts after only one listening, because usually the first impression is always the most true.

First, I know that this is probably not the place to comment on that, but because there have been inevitable comparisons between the two albums - I really liked the new Geoff Tate - fronted album. Really. No joke. I think that it is on par with American Soldier and easily some of the best work till Promised Land.

So - let's get to the new "Queensryche" album and my first impressions. Soryy about not going into too much detail, but I haven't asked for persmission to make a long review yet:

1. The album is really short - 35 minutes, with and intro and a 55-long interlude in the middle of the album.
2. There are some instant classics like "Where Dreams Go To Die", "A World Without" and "Open Road". These are epic tracks and by "epic" I don't mean the track length, but the sound and the emotions they convey. Wonderful stuff, reminiscent of maybe something out of "Rage For Order"
3. There are some heavy, oldschool songs, with meaty riffs and uptempo, like "Vindication", "Spore" and "Fallout".
4. Scott is the star in this album. The drumming is absolutely stunning. Michael does some beautiful solos.

So, on a first listen, here is what I didn't like:

1. The production seems a little too compressed, with too many effects and layers used, which sometimes blur the second guitar and the bass. But I have to listed to the album a few more times and at a better stereo system to judge.

That's the album's only fault, haha!

You will love it guys. It is obvious what the buys and the producer have tried to achieve - to get the closest possible sound to "Rage" and keep close to this album's spirit, sound, production and overall attitude.

I think that they have achieved that :)))

Samsara

• 81 Percent Owner & Operator
  • Administrator
  • Disciple of Dr. X
Re: Re: Queensrÿche self-titled album reviews and commentary
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 08:57:10 AM »

I know why you have a promo, but on this board, you have to reveal how you know this information.

;)

You know, the publication you write for. :)

Thanks.

Everyone -- This is a thread for reviews of the record and commentary on those reviews and thoughts go here.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 09:02:27 AM by Samsara »

T-ski

• Global Mind
  • On Wisconsin!
Re: Re: Queensrÿche self-titled album reviews and commentary
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 08:59:09 AM »

35 minutes long?

11 tracks - 35 minutes = each song is 3 minutes long?
Who's the more foolish - the fool, or the fool who follows him?

Geoff Tate seems to have a "vested" interest in being in Queensryche.

Lucretia

• Khaleesi/Ice Queen
  • Administrator
  • Disciple of Dr. X
  • The Most Fabulous Rattlesnake in the QR-Verse
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 09:02:21 AM »

Well, X2 is an instrumental, and it sounds like one of the others in the middle might be as well. Not too happy at how short it is, but if the quality's good I won't complain too much.
Purveyor of CENSORSHIP!!!!111!!11!1!  :rollin

Dagon

• Initiate
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 09:04:08 AM »

Hello Samsara. I respect the forum rules, but I just don't want to irritate the label and the band that I have shared something here without noticing them in advance. I just know that you are all DIEHARD fans here and wanted to share some initial thought.

Hope that't not such a problem after all :)))

Samsara

• Administrator
  • Disciple of Dr. X
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 09:11:16 AM »

It is a problem, actually. While I appreciate you wanting to share the info, you should have at least stepped forward and identified that you are a member of the media and have a promo because of that.

If you read the forum rules, I am sure you can appreciate why we have that rule in place.

So for everyone's sake - Dagon is a member of the media. Which outlet, I'll refrain from saying, to help alleviate his concerns.

Trust me Dagon -- I really do appreciate you posting your thoughts. But we need some context of WHY you know. That's why the rule is there. Hope my solution is to your satisfaction.

Mister Gold

• Global Mind
  • Seek And You Will Find The Cure
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 09:26:10 AM »

So - let's get to the new "Queensryche" album and my first impressions. Soryy about not going into too much detail, but I haven't asked for persmission to make a long review yet:

1. The album is really short - 35 minutes, with and intro and a 55-long interlude in the middle of the album.
2. There are some instant classics like "Where Dreams Go To Die", "A World Without" and "Open Road". These are epic tracks and by "epic" I don't mean the track length, but the sound and the emotions they convey. Wonderful stuff, reminiscent of maybe something out of "Rage For Order"
3. There are some heavy, oldschool songs, with meaty riffs and uptempo, like "Vindication", "Spore" and "Fallout".
4. Scott is the star in this album. The drumming is absolutely stunning. Michael does some beautiful solos.

So, on a first listen, here is what I didn't like:

1. The production seems a little too compressed, with too many effects and layers used, which sometimes blur the second guitar and the bass. But I have to listed to the album a few more times and at a better stereo system to judge.

That's the album's only fault, haha!

You will love it guys. It is obvious what the buys and the producer have tried to achieve - to get the closest possible sound to "Rage" and keep close to this album's spirit, sound, production and overall attitude.

I think that they have achieved that :)))

While I am a little sad that there isn't any lengthy epic on this album, I am happy to hear that there's a few songs with some really 'epic' vibes! However, are there at least any songs that are over five minutes long or perhaps one that's close to being six minutes long? :biggrin:
"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look long into an abyss, the Abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Dagon

• Initiate
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 09:28:24 AM »

@Samsara

Thank you for understanding my concerns and why I didn't share what media I represent. I am totally OK with this clarification you made :)

Once again - I totally respect the rules you created.

@Mister Gold - the longest song is 4:25

Samsara

• Administrator
  • Disciple of Dr. X
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 09:31:23 AM »

Interesting on time length. But not surprising (at least to me).

Thanks Dagon. Any other more detailed bits you can share about specific songs that struck you?  The ones you labeled "epic" in particular.

Gaguy

• Global Mind
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 09:34:12 AM »

I am personally more concerned with quality than album or song length. Some of my favorite albums are pretty short (Tribe, 1984, etc.) I think an album like Mindcrime II could have benefited from trimming the fat.

Cool that some of the songs have an epic vibe.

Mister Gold

• Global Mind
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 09:37:20 AM »

I am personally more concerned with quality than album or song length. Some of my favorite albums are pretty short (Tribe, 1984, etc.) I think an album like Mindcrime II could have benefited from trimming the fat.

Cool that some of the songs have an epic vibe.

This is very true! Rage for Order, Promised Land and Tribe are all shorter albums.

It'll be very interesting to see some quick epics! :metal:
"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look long into an abyss, the Abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

T-ski

• Global Mind
  • On Wisconsin!
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 09:38:09 AM »

I'm sorry, but a full length album clocking in at 35 minutes is wrong, regardless of great or poor the music is.
Who's the more foolish - the fool, or the fool who follows him?

Geoff Tate seems to have a "vested" interest in being in Queensryche.

Dagon

• Initiate
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 09:40:11 AM »

Interesting on time length. But not surprising (at least to me).

Thanks Dagon. Any other more detailed bits you can share about specific songs that struck you?  The ones you labeled "epic" in particular.

Well, "WDGTD" is a heavy song, with nice lead riff and bombastic chorus.

"A World Without" is probably my favourite up to this point. It is "epic" in the sense that it is multi-layered, VERY emotional and kind of resembles classic Crimson Glory a little bit.

"Open Road" - someone compared it to "Anybody Listening" in another thread. Well, I wouldn't say it is THAT good, but it carries that particular "wind-in-your-hair" vibe.

Samsara

• Administrator
  • Disciple of Dr. X
Re: Queensrÿche self-titled album reviews -- put 'em here
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 02:41:56 PM »

Although we're still lacking any formalized reviews, it looks as if the album is really balanced in terms of old school rockers and epic tunes. That balance is key and has been missing for awhile. :)

RycheNRoll

• En Forcer
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 04:48:42 PM »

Dagon, can you reveal how the songs on the promo match the teaser?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNP_jR0McuU&sns=em
Ryche and roll!

MetalChris

• Global Mind
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 05:57:50 PM »

Dagon, can you reveal how the songs on the promo match the teaser?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNP_jR0McuU&sns=em

We already know one of them is "Vindication"...I'm guessing one of the is X2 as well...
Official Website: www.queensrycheofficial.com
The riffs on Frequency Unknown are as weak as a Kirk Hammett pillow fight...
"You thought you'd get away, but Karma made its move, the bad things that you've done will be coming back for you"

Arkei

• Initiate
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 07:17:05 PM »

Not too concerned about song length.  Screaming in Digital was 3:37.  The Whisper was 3:36.  Speak was 3:43.  I Am I was 3:55.  Lady Jane was 4:15.  Most of the classics are between 4 and 5 minutes long. 

Also not too concerned about album length.  As long as it's no shorter than 35 or no longer than 50, then I'm cool.  Most classic rock albums were 40 minutes or less.  The late 1990s trend of making albums as long as bands possibly could, and leaving nothing on the cutting room floor, made for some mediocre 80-minute releases which could have been fantastic at 40-minutes.  So the fact that we're down to 35 minutes--that puts a smile on my face.

Looking forward to more information on the content itself.  Dagon, whenever you get the all-clear to give us more info . . .

bfc65

• Initiate
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 07:36:23 PM »

I have absolutely no problem with the CD run time of 35 minutes. Some of the greatest albums in the history of rock were in that same run time neighborhood.  Where is it written that a song has to be a certain length to be considered good?  For me it's the melody, tempo and structure. 

Mister Gold

• Global Mind
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 07:52:21 PM »

Well, "WDGTD" is a heavy song, with nice lead riff and bombastic chorus.

"A World Without" is probably my favourite up to this point. It is "epic" in the sense that it is multi-layered, VERY emotional and kind of resembles classic Crimson Glory a little bit.

"Open Road" - someone compared it to "Anybody Listening" in another thread. Well, I wouldn't say it is THAT good, but it carries that particular "wind-in-your-hair" vibe.

Out of curiosity, is there any particular Crimson Glory song that "A World Without" reminds you of? "Lost Reflections" perhaps? :metal:

Hehasthejazzhands

• Disciple of Dr. X
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 07:58:03 PM »

I'm going to guess "A World Without" is one that TLT wrote.
"I think I'd rather watch Chris DeGarmo fly a plane."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32   Go Up