The Breakdown Room - Queensryche Discussion Forum

• September 02, 2014, 02:06:32 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Breakdown Room is now closed. It has been a fun and effective 10 years. Thank you everyone. Come join the successor forum to The Breakdown Room -- The Open Road -- www.vindication156.net.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Todd commenting on possible outcome of the settlement? - Settlement Speculation  (Read 5550 times)

Big Log

• BdR Supporter
  • Disciple of Dr. X
  • Buy my album ... it sucks and you can tell me so.

As long as he's in court, I think he'll change his name and then market himself as:

Chris D. Garmo
formerly Geoff Tate
formerly of
Queensryche
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 01:07:04 PM by Big Log »
You can put out an album that says FU on the cover ... or you can put out an album that says FU because it kicks ass.  I'll take the latter.

22 Acacia Ave

• Global Mind

Not adding anything new here, but I am still shocked that, after being fired, Geoff wants to keep the Queensryche connection.

If I was fired from a band, or job, I would want NOTHING to do with them/it, anymore!!

Lucretia

• Khaleesi/Ice Queen
  • Administrator
  • Disciple of Dr. X
  • The Most Fabulous Rattlesnake in the QR-Verse

He can't make money without it. That's what all of this is about--he was playing tiny venues on his solo tour, because "Geoff Tate" is worth a whole lot less than "Queensryche."
Purveyor of CENSORSHIP!!!!111!!11!1!  :rollin

New Reign

• Disciple of Dr. X

Not adding anything new here, but I am still shocked that, after being fired, Geoff wants to keep the Queensryche connection.

If I was fired from a band, or job, I would want NOTHING to do with them/it, anymore!!

Everything in life is marketing.
\"Think for yourself and feel the walls become sand beneath your feet\".

Samsara

• 81 Percent Owner & Operator
  • Administrator
  • Disciple of Dr. X

Neither side will have a career without the Queensryche name. I'm sorry, but that's just reality. If Geoff loses (which he should in trial), his name will have little weight whatsoever in the marketplace. If the guys lose, whatever name they'd continue under as a band would be a complete reboot of their careers, which at 50+, is very unlikely to be successful.

So the wise course of action in my opinion is, for both sides, is to scrap and fight tooth and nail to retain the name. If I was Geoff's lawyer, I'd do whatever possible to get the name. And if I was Osinski, I'd counsel Michael, Ed and Scott the same thing. Yeah, if you win the QR name, you have to buy Geoff (or if Geoff wins, he has to buy out Michael, Ed and Scott) out. But you retain a brand that can be rebuilt (if it's M-E-S that wins, Geoff will just continue to milk Mindcrime if he wins, IMO).

Sure rebuilding a brand in your 50s is tough. But at least you're not starting from scratch. There is a built-in audience that wouldn't otherwise be there. And promoters are familiar with "Queensryche." So the goal, for both sides, at all costs, should be to retain "Queensryche." Anything less is beyond stupid and short-sighted thinking.

dongringo

• Global Mind

I just hope they bang out a settlement and Geoff is bought out. I just don't see how, with everything we know, Geoff could possibly win the name in a trial. In my opinion, Geoff and his attorney should not go for the name, rather the best monetary settlement they can get because that's their best chance. Fighting tooth and nail for the name is too high a risk.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Samsara

• 81 Percent Owner & Operator
  • Administrator
  • Disciple of Dr. X

I just hope they bang out a settlement and Geoff is bought out. I just don't see how, with everything we know, Geoff could possibly win the name in a trial. In my opinion, Geoff and his attorney should not go for the name, rather the best monetary settlement they can get because that's their best chance. Fighting tooth and nail for the name is too high a risk.

He absolutely could win at trial. He does have an argument. We talked about that in the legal proceedings case thread a number of times. Tate does have a shot at it if certain things fall his way. Both sides have a shot. Otherwise the case would have been thrown out in the past on those different attempts at summary judgment.

Do I personally feel Tate would win at trial? Hard to say. I'd probably give him a 35 percent chance, maybe 40. Law is never black and white. It's varying shades of gray, even though you would think it should be cut and dry. It never is. But as I said, both sides should fight tooth and nail to have the rights to "Queensrÿche." Because whatever side ends up without the brand and band name of Queensryche is going to ultimately lose in the long term.

dongringo

• Global Mind

I understand your points Samsara. I know that either side needs the name to continue on without basically starting over. My opinions are just that, opinions. Personally I think Tate has about a 20% chance of winning the name. The reason why I feel this way in particular is because of the ultimate reasons why he was fired, that is to say, justly fired. But I do know that the justice system can be unjust. It's not perfect and anything can happen. Many people have spent years in prison for crimes they didn't commit for instance.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

dongringo

• Global Mind

Something else I was just thinking about...Tate's voice is shot and he must know that (at least one would think), so if he fought tooth and nail for the name and did happen to win, how long could he possibly go on as QR anyway? Surely not long. I wonder if he's taking this into consideration at all or if he's really such a narcissist as to not know any better. The guy truly baffles me.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Caelum

• BdR Supporter
  • Global Mind

Something else I was just thinking about...Tate's voice is shot and he must know that (at least one would think), so if he fought tooth and nail for the name and did happen to win, how long could he possibly go on as QR anyway? Surely not long. I wonder if he's taking this into consideration at all or if he's really such a narcissist as to not know any better. The guy truly baffles me.

I don't think Tate's too concerned about putting out a performance that justifies the name Queensryche, as exemplified by what he's touring with now. As long as he gets the name, he'd be happy to croak out songs barely recognizable from their original form, if the paychecks keep coming.

dongringo

• Global Mind

I don't think Tate's too concerned about putting out a performance that justifies the name Queensryche, as exemplified by what he's touring with now. As long as he gets the name, he'd be happy to croak out songs barely recognizable from their original form, if the paychecks keep coming.

Seems you are right. Man I hope he doesn't get the name. It would be a crying shame and such an injustice to the real Ryche. For awhile after everything went down I was pretty numb to everything that was happening because I felt that the guys pretty much let the Tates run them into the ground, but now that they are back in all their glory with Todd at the mic I'm feeling more passionate about it. The real Queensryche must get the name!
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Walker in Eternity

• Anarchist

I hope that Tate does not get the name.

It all depends on the judge as the recent ruling on the similar Wishbone Ash case shows.

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/IPEC/2013/3242.html

Martin Turner is appealing apparently.   This could drag on for some time.  I hope the same doesn't happen to QR.

fonzbear2000

• Global Mind
  • Dragon Of The Rÿche
    • All my concerts, future and past

As long as a settlement is worked out and it doesn't go to trial, Tate won't get the name exclusively to himself. There's no way Todd and the gang would allow that to happen. We should only worry about Tate having a chance at getting the name if it does go to trial.
All my concerts, future and past: http://fonzbear2000.blogspot.com/ Check daily for updates.

My heart, tears, and prayers go out to all the sad, lonely, abused, and suffering children of the world!

daknight

• Global Mind

If it came to a situation of buying out Geoff for the name, I imagine it would be easier for three to buy out one, but would there be an option for Todd and or Parker to assist in the buyout, giving them a piece of the name/band? FIVE could more easily buy out than three alone. Spreading it out would strain their collective finances a little less and would reaffirm in a way a solidarity with this line-up.

New Reign

• Disciple of Dr. X

If it came to a situation of buying out Geoff for the name, I imagine it would be easier for three to buy out one, but would there be an option for Todd and or Parker to assist in the buyout, giving them a piece of the name/band? FIVE could more easily buy out than three alone. Spreading it out would strain their collective finances a little less and would reaffirm in a way a solidarity with this line-up.

Hell, put me in for a C-note!  ;D
\"Think for yourself and feel the walls become sand beneath your feet\".

thrashinbatman

• Global Mind
  • The castles built will fall...

Yeah, if this ends in settlement, Whip and the boys are getting the name. I don't see how Tate in his present state will be able to pay off all three of them, especially since he'd have to throw in a lot of sweeteners to convince them. The only way Tate has a chance is in trial.

Rockox

• Disciple of Dr. X
  • /str/ does not equal /shtr/

Unfortunately, though, they'll have to give him something. The shareholders agreement has actual specifications on how big the QR name can be in comparison to Tate's (something like 1/4 of the size of his own name), so they may be able to put stipulations on that as well.

A smart settlement agreement would have drafted into it the font size and prominence of anything having to do with the name, with a penalty of a great amount worked in for violation.

Sorry for the slight necro, but Lucretia, when you mention font size specifications in the shareholders agreement, is that in reference to when Tate was doing his solo stuff while still in Queensryche? Or was it a condition for if Tate ever left the band?

If Tate ends up getting to use the Queensryche name in some capacity (which again, for the record I'm completely against and would see that as a huge loss to the QR guys), I'm interested to see how the whole "font size" thing will turn out.
I play golf with Chris DeGarmo.

Lucretia

• Khaleesi/Ice Queen
  • Administrator
  • Disciple of Dr. X
  • The Most Fabulous Rattlesnake in the QR-Verse

It was in reference to the event that anyone left the band or was terminated. It was something like "Queensryche" could be no more than 1/3 the size of the person's name on any promo.
Purveyor of CENSORSHIP!!!!111!!11!1!  :rollin

Rockox

• Disciple of Dr. X
  • /str/ does not equal /shtr/

Awesome, thanks. I had forgotten to follow up with this.
I play golf with Chris DeGarmo.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up