General Discussion > Archived Posts from 2006-2011

Meaning behind the QR logo?

<< < (3/3)

ironwill:

--- Quote from: daknight on January 29, 2009, 06:15:32 PM ---I'm not saying other theories couldn't, be correct, or are not also undeniably correct, but look at the art of the first EP. You have winged daggers. I look at the tri-ryche and I can see where it could have been the end result of some morph from winged daggers. They did not have the tri-ryche on the EP, but they had winged daggers. On The Warning, they have the tri-ryche.

--- End quote ---
                                                                                                                              In a different thread regarding the new album and cover I stated that it was my belief (before we were able to view a larger shot of said cover) that it looked to be the first since the EP not to feature the Tri-ryche. Well, i'm looking at the remastered cd of the EP right now, and the Tri-ryche does appear. It's not on the front, but on the back over the bands pic. It's also inside the booklet on the first page. I don't have the original 206 vinyl here with me, (it's back in NY kept in a very safe climate-controlled room inside a protective sleeve of acid-free paper) so I can't compare it, but i've noticed that it looks very much like the signature/initials doodle/drawing that we've been talking about and that I recall seeing in the article that i'm still on a quest to find. Anybody else have a 206 or EMI vinyl or the original cd release handy so we can compare?  

CirclingPanesOfGlass:
I've moved the discussion about the triryche below to this thread, from the American Soldier discussion thread to avoid going off topic.  Apologies, but I couldn't get the quotes from the old thread over here so I did a cut and paste

Wardy's post:

Hmmmm... I can understand your point but I think most of what you have said is why I like the American Soldier cover art... the tri-ryche isn't in your face, the album isn't labeled heavily... the stamp is subtle.  If it were Maiden's Eddie we were talking about I'd lean more toward agreeing with you (music aside of course - great band!), but I don't find the tri-ryche cheesy, and certainly not for the AS cover... and hey I'm approaching middle age   

Just my 2c as well... found your comment interesting... I dunno, it doesn't really bother me for some reason.  I'd rather the tri-ryche be somewhere I think than dropped entirely.  I thought the Hugh cover for the Greatest Hits was pretty cool really.

My reply:

I really see where you are coming from.  And we are in agreement, I think the placement of the triryche on the American Soldier cover is fine because it is so subtle and noticeable only if you are really looking for it.  It's also as it should be, IMO, since the theme is probably the most specific and closely tied to reality of all their previous work and to have put the logo front and center would have detracted from the gravity and importance of it all. 

Anyway, the covers where the  triryche is front and center aren't my favorites.  Like Empire, Q2K and the Greatest Hits.  They scream "metal" to me and though I love Queensryche and their music, I'm not a "metal" guy, it's just not my thing.  A lot of Queensryche's music is epic and deep and it kinda irks me that the triryche is not; it's a symbol that isn't the best representation of the band. I always wished that Queensryche would go for more arty album art, like Rush.  I think they succeeded in this with HITNF, which is my favorite.

Again, this is all just my own personal taste and opinion.  Obviously the triryche and Queensryche's cover art aren't the most important and burning issues of the day, but hey, it's something to talk about, right?

My $.02,
CPOG

Wardy:

--- Quote ---Anyway, the covers where the  triryche is front and center aren't my favorites.  Like Empire, Q2K and the Greatest Hits.  They scream "metal" to me and though I love Queensryche and their music, I'm not a "metal" guy, it's just not my thing.  A lot of Queensryche's music is epic and deep and it kinda irks me that the triryche is not; it's a symbol that isn't the best representation of the band. I always wished that Queensryche would go for more arty album art, like Rush.  I think they succeeded in this with HITNF, which is my favorite.
--- End quote ---

Ya know I find your comment above satisfying, while I grew up with Huey Lewis & the News (Don't mock me - Huey's still the king of cool ;)) and at least a third of my listening these days is non metal, I would still be pegged the 'metal' tag.  But I get your point cause thing being is as much as I crave for more heavy Ryche, it's their softer tracks that have IMO outlasted so many others and stood the test of time. 

Songs such as Roads to Madness and The Lady Wore Black (modern version preferred), are untouchable!  I would argue until I'm blue in the face that no other metal band in the history of the metal genre have ever captured the same dynamics and feeling in their songs, nor the variation in their music which Queensryche have.  Looking back at their 80's output, that variation between songs was mind blowing.  Hence the attraction to both metal and non metal fans...  Not many metal bands have managed that over such a long career.

And of course a lot of this has to do with the incredible ability of Tate to embrace such emotion in his performance both in and out of the studio.  Which is why I am so against the whole stage theater shows of late.  Props are fine but Tate doesn't need to dress the show up to this degree!  He needs nothing other than the band for him to capture this emotion and a good performance!  Probably my only worry re AS is the tour - it was mentioned there would be another big stage show... they don't need it!!!!!

I digress... back to the tri-ryche, I understand where you are coming from regarding it representing metal, and no doubt that's exactly how it was perceived by the majority of metal fans particularly during their heyday.  Fortunately for me though I actually don't get that feeling from it.  I just see it representing all the many styles of Queensryche music whether it be metal or arty... glad it's still kicking around, but pleased it's not taking front seat particularly for American Soldier.

FateMustHide:
Here's the original "doodle" and a short summary of "Griz" and the Triryche from an article at SiD. Funny, my 11 year old was persistent in making me find out where it came from today and all roads (through google) somehow always lead to The Breakdown Room.  ;)

http://scream.org/1997/06/30/screaming-in-digital-issue-227/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version